To provide knowledge for the understanding and application of some organic compounds in life.
By the end of the course the learners will be able to:
1. describe the chemistry of various functional groups;
2. Apply IUPAC /sequence rules in naming or drawing organic compounds;
3. Discuss spectroscopic methods for identification of key functional groups;
4. Explain the application of most of the compounds with carbonyl functional groups;
5. Perform experiments to prepare or identify various functional groups in organic compounds.
Continuous Assessment Tests 20%, Assignments 10%, Laboratory practicals 10%, Final exam 60%.
Chan, K. S. & Tan J. (2016). Understanding advanced Organic and Analytical Chemistry: Learner’s Approach (Revised Edition). WS Education. ISBN 13: 9789814733984.
1. Carey, F. (2012). Advanced Organic Chemistry: Part B: Reactions and Synthesis, (2012), Springer Science & Business Media, ISBN 1461588855, 9781461588856.
2. Hornback, J. M. (2005). Organic Chemistry (2nd Ed). Brooks Cole. ISBN 0534389511, 9780534389512.
3. Bruckner, R. (2002). Advanced Organic Chemistry: Reaction Mechanisms. Academic Press, ISBN 0121381102, 978012138110