Purpose of the Course
The course is designed to introduce students to the legal and political aspects of managing refugees and displaced persons. It discusses the international, regional and domestic instruments governing refugee protection and the role of UNHCR and its partner organizations in refugee protection.
Expected Learning Outcomes
At the end of the course, students should be able to:
1. Demonstrate understanding of various definition of terms used in this course
2. Explain the development of international refugee regime
3. Demonstrate an understanding of the rights and obligations of refugees in international law
4. Analyze various issues affecting refugee protection internationally, regionally and nationally
5. Determine how refugee camps can be coordinated and managed.
6. Discuss the value of incorporating refugees in peace building programs