1. To widen students’ understanding of an international range of musical cultures and the role of music in the contemporary society.
2. To enable students to contribute to the national consciousness of their cultural heritage through participation in musical events and research.
3. Equip students with a foundational grasp of the trends in African music.
4. Explore the relevance of African church music.
By the end of the course the student should be able to:
1. define and explain musical terms and concepts in African music
2. discuss issues related to the growth and innovations in Church music
3. participate in a performance of folk song or traditional dance
4. discuss issues related to African music performance, such as music instruments, occasions, ornamentation and roles of music
- Definition of musical terms and concepts
- Music in African societies
- Classification and categorisation of traditional African music instruments
- Growth and innovation of church music in Africa
- Listening to traditional African and popular music performances
- Performing traditional African folk songs
- Editing Teacher: Muthoni Njenga