1. To widen students’ understanding of an international range of musical cultures and the role of music in the contemporary society.
2. To enable students to contribute to the national consciousness of their cultural heritage through participation in musical events and research.
3. Equip students with a foundational grasp of the trends in African music.
4. Explore the relevance of African church music.
By the end of the course the student should be able to:
1. define and explain musical terms and concepts in African music
2. discuss issues related to the growth and innovations in Church music
3. compare features of traditional music to contemporary music.
4. participate in a performance of folk song or traditional dance
5. discuss issues related to African music performance, such as music instruments, occasions, ornamentation and roles of music
- Editing Teacher: Muthoni Njenga